Showing posts with label remarks. Show all posts
Showing posts with label remarks. Show all posts

20080831

Gerakan wants stern action against Ahmad Ismail over 'seditious' remarks

Gerakan, a component of the Barisan Nasional (BN), has called for stern action against Bukit Bendera Umno division head Datuk Ahmad Ismail over his recent “seditious” remarks on the Chinese community.

During a ceramah in Permatang Pauh on Aug 25, Ahmad was alleged to have said the Chinese were mere squatters or temporary residents of the nation and therefore, it was impossible to achieve equal rights amongst races in the country.

“Many Malaysians are disappointed with the mild statement by Prime Minister and Umno president Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi when commenting on the seditious statement by Datuk Ahmad Ismail.

“They (Malaysians) had expected a strong rebuke, especially on Aug 31, a day all Malaysians celebrated the country’s independence.

“After 51 years of independence, any further doubt of loyalty of any Malaysian of any ethnic origin and the questioning of citizenship is beyond the understanding of all Malaysians,” Gerakan secretary-general Datuk Seri Chia Kwang Chye said in a statement today.
In the run-up to the Permatang Pauh parliamentary by-election last week, Ahmad allegedly made the remarks and yesterday, Abdullah commented on it when he said he would “tell him (Ahmad) not to do it again.

“You know, in a campaign all sorts of things can come up. I don’t think he meant it. I will make sure to tell him not to use it again,” Abdullah had said yesterday.

Chia said Ahmad’s statement was outdated and racially provocative, adding that any sign of the Barisan Nasional tolerating any outrightly racist and provocative views would give the wrong signal to the people.

“Ahmad Ismail should not only retract what he uttered and also apologise to all Malaysians but also be disciplined so as to prevent such divisive statement or action from being repeated. Such archiac views can further divide a multi-ethnic country like Malaysia,” he added.

Meanwhile, Gerakan vice-president Datuk Dr Teng Hock Nan, in another statement, urged the UMNO and Barisan Nasional (BN) leadership to review its stance against Ahmad.

He called on the police to investigate the matter as the MCA and Gerakan Youth had lodged a police report against Ahmad. — BERNAMA

20080617

Dr Mahathirs racist remarks draw flak

By : M. Husairy Othman, Ridzwan Abdullah and Eileen Ng

KUALA LUMPUR: The Malays have every reason to fight for their rights, said Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, as non-Bumiputera groups again lamented over the former prime minister's apparently racist line.

He claimed Malaysia was the only nation in the world where the main ethnic group had admitted other races and endowed them with rights.

"We (the Malays) are not the type to protest and have accepted those who came to the country.

"We even accorded them rights unlike other countries," he said at a talk titled "The Future of Malaysian Malays" organised by Warisan Pekembar, a non-governmental organisation, in Teluk Intan on Saturday.

Some 2,000 people attended the hour-long event.
In an immediate response, Gerakan secretary-general Datuk Seri Chia Kwang Chye said national unity was crucial to meeting the challenges of the present day.

"It's time we thought like Malaysians and as Bangsa Malaysia to work together to forge a united country and face future challenges as one.

"Global challenges like the fuel and food crisis are best tackled and handled together. In light of these challenges, it is inappropriate to start questioning each other's contributions and rights.

"It is more important to treat everyone as Malaysians, regardless of race, in order to contribute effectively to the country's development."

Dr Mahathir expressed sadness at being termed a racist each time he spoke on the rights of the Malays.

"When they speak of their rights, people say it is all right as we live in a multiracial country.

"I am extremely sad but we have every right to speak in defence of the Malays," he said.

Malaysian Associated Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry president Datuk Kenneth Eswaran said the special rights of the Malays had never been questioned, at least in Barisan Nasional.

"There is no basis whatsoever to Dr Mahathir's claims. The Indian community, at least those in BN, has never questioned the economic rights of the Malays.

"Dr Mahathir should know this better as he was part of the system at one time," he said.

The former prime minister also demolished the notion of a Bangsa Malaysia, which he had proposed.

"We have failed to create a Malaysian race and must accept the fact that we are made up of different races and religions.

"Malaysia is not like other countries. We have come up with policies to help the Malays without sidelining the interests of other races.

"The New Economic Policy was designed not to deny others of their rights but to improve the economic status of the Malays."

He said peace and harmony in the country could only be achieved when the economic divide between the races was narrowed.

"If the gap is too big, it might lead to dissatisfaction by certain groups and to untoward incidents like the May 13 riots in 1969."

MCA vice-president Datuk Seri Dr Fong Chan Onn said: "Now is not the time to distinguish between Malays and non-Malays.

"We are first and foremost Malaysians and we (MCA) articulate our views as Malaysians.

"As MCA leaders, we are responsible for everyone and are constantly aware of the sensitivities of Malaysians and the multiracial context we live in," he said.

Alexa Traffic Rank

Subscribe to dunia-politik

Subscribe to dunia-politik
Powered by groups.yahoo.com