(The Star) - Former Selangor Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Dr Mohd Khir Toyo who did not attend the state privileges committee inquiry in March and made negative media reports on it will know his fate next Tuesday.
A decision will be made based on his explanation yesterday over his failure to attend the Select Committee on Competence, Accountability and Transparency (Selcat) inquiry and attacking it in the media.
Also giving their reasons yesterday for attacking the inquiry in the media in March were assemblymen Datuk Warno Dogol (Sabak Bernam), Datuk Mohd Idris Abu Bakar (Hulu Bernam), Mohd Isa Abu Kassim (Batang Kali) and Datuk Marsum Paing (Dengkil).
In the eight-day Selcat inquiry in March witnesses had testified that millions of ringgit from the state’s business arm were squandered by Balkis, a charity headed by Dr Khir’s wife Datin Zaharah Kechik while he was in office.
Yesterday, Dr Khir told reporters after a closed-door inquiry that he was barred from making any press statements on the meeting.
“Just cannot say anything because the privileges committee chairman Teng Chang Khim has told me so,” he said.
Teng later said that he too was bound by the Standing Orders and could not reveal matters that transpired in the inquiry.
“If all of them are found guilty they could be asked to apologise, be given a warning, suspended from the state assembly or even be stripped of their salaries and allowances,” he said, adding that he had previously been suspended for 30 months during Dr Khir’s administration.